Monday, November 1, 2010

Kick Up Your Heels…Before You’re Too Short to Wear Them: How to Live a Long, Healthy, Juicy Life by Loretta LaRoche

Kick Up Your Heels…Before You’re Too Short to Wear Them: How to Live a Long, Healthy, Juicy Life by Loretta LaRoche

Perhaps I am just out of the age bracket for this book but it appears Loretta’s market is definitely women in their 50’s and 60’s. I remember seeing a movie of her lecturing on stage when I was in college. I didn’t find it too funny then either. I personally thought this is a good self-help book if self-help is not your cup of tea. It’s a very superficial book that does not go deep and barely touches the surface of providing you with anything substantial to walk away with. I am sure there are huge Loretta Laroche fans out there but I am guessing they fall in the same category of the Red Hat Society. Loretta does try to keep the book peppy and upbeat which I can give her credit it for. It never fell entirely flat but I found a lot of the information for me (someone who is more spiritual/self-help geared) to not really be helpful..it was almost old, recycled news. In the line of self-help books…this would be considered a child’s primer. She does provide a lot of websites and studies that can fill you with your need for trivial information but nothing really went straight to my heart. I am the kind of dork that likes to keep a collection of quotes from books that really struck me. I didn’t find anything to take from this book that I hadn’t already heard before. The only other thing that I can give credit for is that this is a Hay House book. I simply adore Hay House and if Louise Hay finds this book to be worthy of her label, then I gotta get down with that. I think Ms. LaRoche earned this by being cutesy, strictly marketing her books to a certain age range (who might I add are big spenders and can attend her lectures), and by attempting to add humor. I have not read any of her other books but she has not hooked me in any manner that would want me to go out and buy all of the others. I do feel sympathy for her life experiences and I can respect her and relate to her in that manner.

To be fair, I will always find something good in a book to pull to share with you. Here are some of the better quotes from the book.

Loretta believes that by changing your vocabulary from “withered words” to “juicy words” will change your whole attitude. Some of the juicy words were juicy, moist, astronomical, succulent, dewy, amazing, and brilliant. She suggests using these words to brighten your day and live a more “juicy” life.

“In order to be happy, upbeat, and successful, you need to become an actor or actress who has been given a juicy script.”

WISE OWL INDEX: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment